Nov. 2, 2013 - Fall Adventure Outing
From a boat
launch in the Santa Maria subdivision, eight of us set off to paddle BayouManchac, a local scenic and historic river on a beautiful fall day. We took an extension of Wards Creek into the
bayou. Guided by Jonathan Scott (firstname.lastname@example.org) and
Nathaniel Klumb of Friends of the Bayou Manchac, we followed the tree draped Bayou Manchac passing a railroad
bridge, old Perkins Road bridge, Bayou Fountain, Frog Bayou Lock turning around
at Alligator Bayou Lock. Fishermen told us five alligators submerged as we
approached the lock. The junction of
Alligator Bayou and Bayou Manchac has been a good fishing place at least since
Iberville’s visit to the area in 1699. A
Civil War lieutenant reported that the Native Americans called this area Anatamaha. Source: Charles E. Pearson, Anatamaha: the Fish Place, Louisiana
Archaeological Society Newsletter, Spring 1987, p 5.
Since there are no public launches on the bayou, Jonathan
obtained permission for us to put in and get out at Santa Maria launch. Mary Ann Sternberg’s book, Winding through Time, provides a complete
history of this historic bayou. Click here for a video slideshow of Bayou Manchac from Alligator Bayou to the Amite River.
return we took a side trip a mile down Bayou Fountain where we saw one of
the Kleinpeter Indian mounds. Archaeologists have found evidence of activity
as far back as 2000 years in this area. Trees draped all the way across the
bayou as we maneuvered around fallen trees and tried to ignore the patches of
litter. A large section of Baton Rouge drains thru Bayou Manchac, then the Amite
River and into Lake Maurepas.
Find out more about the folks exploring and cleaning the creeks and bayous of the southern and eastern parts of East Baton Rouge Parish along its boundaries with Ascension and Livingston Parishes at PaddleBR.
Post a Comment